ABOUT ENDLESSNESS is a reflection on human life in all its beauty and cruelty, its splendor and banality. We wander, dreamlike, gently guided by our Scheherazade-esque narrator. Inconsequential moments take on the same significance as historical events: a couple floats over a war-torn Cologne; on the way to a birthday party, a father stops to tie his daughter's shoelaces in the pouring rain; teenage girls dance outside a cafe; a defeated army marches to a prisoner-of-war camp. Simultaneously an ode and a lament, About Endlessness presents a kaleidoscope of all that is eternally human, an infinite story of the vulnerability of existence.
Bengt Bergius, Anja Broms, Marie Burman
Sweden | Germany | Norway | France
- "Andersson’s sketches feel sketchier—sparser and more suggestive—with every film; ABOUT ENDLESSNESS hits perhaps a handful of blackly humorous punchlines, and the only irony is cosmic."
- The Film Stage
- "The least funny and most tender movie that Andersson has made since building his own studio with the profits he’d saved from decades of enormously successful commercial work, ABOUT ENDLESSNESS adopts the same qualities of life itself: it’s both short and infinite."
- "Andersson’s consistency may have made him a director for acolytes above all, but they will find this a satisfying and richly resonant lesson in obliqueness and sometimes opacity."
- Screen Daily
- Venice Film Festival
- Dublin Int'l Film Festival
- European Film Awards
- Guldbagge Awards
- Toronto Int'l Film Festival
- Thessaloniki Int'l Film Festival
- Int'l Film Festival Rotterdam
- Palm Springs Int'l Film Festival
- Ljubljana Int'l Film Festival
- Vienna Int'l Film Festival
- Los Cabos Int'l Film Festival
- Film Festival Cologne
- Kyiv Critics Week