The Truffle Hunters
Deep in the forests of Piedmont, Italy, a handful of men, seventy or eighty years young, hunt for the rare and expensive white Alba truffle—which to date has resisted all of modern science's efforts at cultivation. They're guided by a secret culture and training passed down through generations, as well as by the noses of their cherished and expertly-trained dogs. They live a simpler, slower way of life, in harmony with their loyal animals and their picture-perfect land, seemingly straight out of a fairy tale. They're untethered to cell phone screens or the Internet, opting instead to make their food and drink by hand and prioritizing in-person connections and community. The demand for white truffles increases year after year, even as the supply decreases. As a result of climate change, deforestation, and the lack of young people taking up the mantle, the truffle hunters' secrets are more coveted than ever. However, as it soon becomes clear, these ageing men may just hold something much more valuable than even this prized delicacy: the secret to a rich and meaningful life.
Michael Dweck, Gregory Kershaw
Italy, USA, Greece
- "THE TRUFFLE HUNTERS is a charming, life-affirming film, a look at an enduring folkway that brings fun and flavor to Italians every year."
- The Playlist
- "Michael Dweck and Gregory Kershaw (The Last Race) directed, produced and shot this captivating vérité documentary, which finds humor, charm and poignancy in the crusty eccentrics and their adored canine companions who sniff out the aromatic tubers, usually under the secretive cloak of night."
- The Hollywood Reporter
- "These men have dedicated their entire lives to not only finding these exquisite white Alba truffles but also to the dogs that help them find their way, and to see their culture upturned for selfish reasons is an upsetting thing to witness. That they still have so much personality, joy, and life in them, however, makes THE TRUFFLE HUNTERS a delightful, charming watch."
- The Film Stage
- El Gouna Film Festival
- Toronto Int'l Film Festival
- San Sebastián Int'l Film Festival
- Stockholm Int'l Film Festival
- Int'l Documentary Festival Amsterdam
- Sundance Film Festival
- Adelaide Film Festival
- Zurich Film Festival
- Film Festival Cologne
- New York Film Festival
- Mill Valley Film Festival
- La Roche-sur-Yon Film Festiva
- Aspen Film Festival
- and more...