My Salinger Year
New York in the 90s: After leaving graduate school to pursue her dream of becoming a writer, Joanna (Margaret Qualley) gets hired as an assistant to Margaret (Sigourney Weaver), the stoic and old-fashioned literary agent of J. D. Salinger. Fluctuating between poverty and glamour, she spends her days in a plush, wood-panelled office – where dictaphones and typewriters still reign and agents doze off after three-martini lunches – and her nights in a sink-less Brooklyn apartment with her socialist boyfriend. Joanna’s main task is processing Salinger’s voluminous fan mail, but as she reads the heart-wrenching letters from around the world, she becomes reluctant to send the agency’s impersonal standard letter and impulsively begins personalizing the responses. The results are both humorous and moving, as Joanna, while using the great writer’s voice, begins to discover her own.
Margaret Qualley, Sigourney Weaver, Douglas Booth, Seána Kerslake
Canada | Ireland
- "A gentle, compassionate film about a young woman's entrance into an adult world where secrets - both professional and personal - reveal themselves slowly, and occasionally with devastating impact."
- ABC News
- "A sweet, perfectly agreeable affair that, if nothing else, confirmed the star presence of Margaret Qualley and gave us Sigourney Weaver in some seriously delicious '90s garb."
- Awards Daily
- "But really it's a movie, essentially familiar in structure and tone, that owes everything to a pair of knockout performances. It's a casting triumph."
- Berlin Int'l Film Festival
- Film by the Sea Film Festival
- Film Fest Gent