LEONA is an intimate, insightful, and moving film that tells the story of a young Jewish woman from Mexico City who finds herself torn between her family and her forbidden love. Ripe with all the drama and interpersonal conflicts of a Jane Austen novel, watching her negotiate the labyrinth of familial pressure, religious precedent, and her own burgeoning sentiment is both painful and beautiful – there are no easy choices to be made and the viewer travels back and forth with her as she struggles with her heart to take the best path.
Naian Gonzalez Norvind, Christian Vazquez, Carolina Politi
- "It is grateful that Leona is not the typical story of an impossible love story for Romeo & Julieta, but instead, always focuses on the personal development of its protagonist. "
- "Indie drama LEONORA uses a forbidden romance to critique Mexico City’s Orthodox community"
- Jewish Telegraphic Agency
- Morelia Int'l Film Festival
- Philadelphia Jewish Film Festival
- New York Jewish Film Festival
- Jewish Motifs Film Festival
- UK Jewish Film Festival