From the twisted mind of Quentin Dupieux (RUBBER), MANDIBLES is an absurdist romp that follows simple-minded friends Jean-Gab (David Marsais) and Manu (Grégoire Ludig). After stealing a beat-up Mercedes in order to deliver a mysterious briefcase to an unknown recipient, the friends find more than they bargained for when they hear a buzzing, thumping noise coming from the trunk of the car. When they open it, they find a gigantic fly trapped inside. Manu and Jean-Gab decide to forgo their current mission and instead focus on training the fly to carry out robberies for them, in the hope of making a ton of cash. A hilarious mash-up of buddy comedy and road movie, with a sci-fi twist, MANDIBLES is a wild and surreal film about friendship, big dreams, and bigger disasters.
Grégoire Ludig, David Marsais, Adèle Exarchopoulos, India Hair
- "Perhaps we’re comedy-starved in today’s cinematic landscape, but Dupieux’s rollicking adventure generates rare laugh-out-loud moments and even a few applause-worthy bits."
- The Film Stage
- "The really new news of MANDIBLES however, is, where in the past Dupieux’s surrealism always had a cynical, sinister, even murderous undercurrent, here, he lets himself be cheerful, as though infected by the sweet-natured bromance between his appealing, appalling idiot leads."
- The Playlist
- "MANDIBLES is far from derivative, and Dupieux goes beyond the usual “Love you bro!” buddy-film clichés to draw something genuine, even heartwarming, out of the friendship between these two idiots."
- Screen Daily
- Catalonian Int-l Film Festival
- Int'l Film Festival Rotterdam
- Thessaloniki Int'l Film Festival
- Busan Int'l Film Festival
- Venice Film Festival
- Sitges Catalonia Film Festival
- Rendez-Vous with French Cinema
- Fantasy Filmfest
- Imagine Film Festival