Who You Think I Am
Academy Award winner, Juliette Binoche, balances cunning and vulnerability in this romantic cyber-drama turned psychological thriller from writer-director Safy Nebbou. Ghosted by her hunky twentysomething lover, Claire (Binoche), a middle-aged professor and single mom, creates a fake Facebook profile to do a little undetected online snooping. But when her 24-year-old avatar “Clara” is friended by her ex’s equally attractive roommate (François Civil), superficial correspondence quickly escalates towards intense intimacy and uncontrollable obsession. Adapted from Camille Laurens’ best-selling novel —and co-scripted by Julie Peyr, a regular collaborator of Arnaud Desplechin—Who You Think I Am blends genres and bends reality to dizzying effect.
Juliette Binoche, Nicole Garcia, François Civil
- "There's a kind of illicit thrill about watching Binoche dive so committedly into this woman's damage, drugged by the dopamine hits she gets from the little green light of Alex's active status."
- Daily Telegraph (UK)
- "Binoche gives another outstanding performance in this thrilling psychological drama."
- The Jewish Chronicle
It all adds up to a very modern drama about age-old anxieties: the fear of ageing and death; the desire for intimacy and reassurance; the allure of artifice and deceit."
- Observer (UK)
- Cabourg Romantic Film Festival
- Berlin Int'l Film Festival
- Shanghai Int'l Film Festival
- Camerimage Int'l Film Festiva
- Vilnius Int'l Film Festival
- Rendez-Vous with French Cinema
- Cinelibri Book and Movie Festival
- Jeonju Int'l Film Festival