BERGMAN ISLAND follows a couple of American filmmakers, Chris (Vicky Krieps) and Tony (Tim Roth), who retreat to the mythical Fårö island for the summer. In this wild, breathtaking landscape where Bergman lived and shot his most celebrated pieces, they hope to find inspiration for their upcoming films. As days spent separately pass by, the fascination for the island operates on Chris and souvenirs of her first love resurface. Lines between reality and fiction will then progressively blur and tear our couple even more apart.
Vicky Krieps, Tim Roth, Mia Wasikowska
France, Belgium, Germany, Sweden, Mexico
- "BERGMAN ISLAND is a heart-stoppingly poignant stunner all the same — one beating inside a body of work that has always been seasick with the bittersweet vertigo that comes from looking at the past through the smudged lens of memory and imagination."
- "Delicate, droll and imbued with a haunting, understated wistfulness, BERGMAN ISLAND wears its layers so lightly it may take you a while to notice just how much it’s got going on."
- The Hollywood Reporter
- "I felt a new reverence for Hansen-Løve’s talent — she sweeps you up and brings the movie to a slow boil."
- Cannes Film Festival
- Toronto Int'l Film Festival
- Melbourne International Film Festival
- New York Film Festival