JULIA brings to life the legendary cookbook author and television superstar who changed the way Americans think about food, television, and even about women. Using never-before-seen archival footage, personal photos, first-person narratives, and cutting-edge, mouth-watering food cinematography, the film traces Julia Child's 12 year struggle to create and publish the revolutionary Mastering the Art of French Cooking (1961) which has sold more than 2.5 million copies to date, and her rapid ascent to become the country’s most unlikely television star. It’s the empowering story of a woman who found her purpose – and her fame – at 50, and took America along on the whole delicious journey.
Julie Cohen, Betsy West
José Andrés, Julia Child, André Cointreau
- "In addition to being a lovingly crafted, moving tribute to a pioneer who broke down barriers for women, Julia is a paean to cooking as a joyous - and delicious - act of creation."
- Flickering Myth
- "Julia Child changed the culinary palate of American cuisine forever. Betsy West and Julie Cohen beautifully share a deliciously beautiful tale of two loves - Paul Child and food"
- The Curvy Film Critic
- "Cohen and West do a fantastic job adding context to Julia's story while also conveying her spirit, her warmth, her tenacity and her willingness to learn and evolve."
- Quelle Movies
- Toronto Int'l Film Festival
- Heartland Int'l Film Festival
- Hamptons Int'l Film Festival
- Chicago Int'l Film Festival
- Hot Springs Documentary Film Festival
- Telluride Film Festival
- Mill Valley Film Festival
- Woodstock Film Festival