A journalist descends into the dark underbelly of the Iranian holy city of Mashhad as she investigates the serial killings of sex workers by the so called "Spider Killer," who believes he is cleansing the streets of sinners.
Zar Amir-Ebrahimi, Mehdi Bajestani, Arash Ashtiani
Denmark, Germany, Sweden, France
- "Abbasi offered a brilliantly leftfield perspective on immigration and otherness with his 2018 debut Border, and his follow-up takes no prisoners in his critique of Iranian society’s built-in misogyny and fake piety."
- Time Out
- "Abbasi has made an Iranian noir which, even though it dares to poke around the spiritual capital of Iran with its largest mosque in the world, isn’t an assault on the Iranian government per se, but a crime thriller which shows how far fundamentalist morality can be twisted and how banal the face of evil really is."
- Screen Daily
- "As a straight-forward thriller, Holy Spider checks off all the boxes that make it an intriguing watch: it maintains a tense tone and has a gripping plot, it transforms into a courtroom drama halfway into its run, and features gritty and stylish visuals."
- The Playlist
- Cannes Film Festival
- Toronto Int'l Film Festival
- New Horizons Int'l Film Festival
- Neuchâtel Int'l Fantastic Film Festival
- Vancouver Int'l Film Festival
- Hamptons Int'l Film Festival
- Busan Int'l Film Festival
- BFI London Film Festiva
- Hamburg Film Festiva
- Telluride Film Festival
- Jerusalem Film Festival